I am a beginner computer artist.
I am just learning Photoshop and Illustrator, but I am planning to do a logo/web site design with both.
I want to draw a logo for an application.
I can draw a simple logo like this one:
I want to add a 3d effect to a logo, so that the result looks similar to this (effect-wise):
Please point me to a tutorial that teaches me how to add these kind of effects to a logos. A paid video tutorials are fine too.
I came to the conclusion that my prior comments might just leave bad taste in your mouth so, I thought it would be only fair that I would give you something more than just “It can be done”
I cleaned up the psd file which contains Note with the same text as below that hopefully explains how it can be done.
First you make the basic base shape(s)
- I used Pentool to make the base layers.
- These layers include Base 1 , Base 2 and Base 3
Selection layer ( 2nd layer )
- I sometimes make layers that I can use to quickly get selections from important things.
- You can do that by clicking the layer thumbnail wile pressing Ctrl. ( In this case the Layer mask thumbnail )
- This Selection layer has a little feather ( blur ) in the edge.
Basic highlights and shadows.
- These I made straight into Base 1 , Base 2 and Base 3 Layers with Dodge Tool.
- I used Soft round brush with varying sizes.
- Opacity from around 10% to 30% ( with a mouse )
- I use alt to turn Dodge Tool into Burn Tool when I want to darken.
- I used the Selection layer ( 2nd layer ) to make it easier to highlight and shadow the ridge.
Selection can be Inverted with Ctrl+Shift+I.
First layer is example of the Dodge tool highlights and shadows.
- Forgot to mention that Dodge tool is set to Highlight
- It’s also good to take it easy with dodgetool, build up little by little with low opacity.
Two big S highlights.
- Layers with name ( S – Highlight )
- Done with Brush tool using Soft round brush with varying sizes.
- Used eraser tool a little in the top highlight.
- Basic idea is that the lowest of these highlights has the Blend mode as normal and it has a little Yellowish color in it and this layer is little bigger than the highlights above it.
- Highlight layers above the lowest highlight have white color.
- These are all in Clipping mask with Base 1 layer so that they will stay inside it.
- Clipping mask can be done by pointing cursor between layers and clicking there while holding Alt button. Cursor appearance should change if youre howing the cursor in right spot. ( …while holding Alt button down )
Edge highlights. ( a group with the same name )
- I took these from the Base 1 layers drop shadow that I made into layer.
- You can do that by opening the Effects ( Fx ) list and right clicking to one of the layer styles and choosing Create layers.
- Basically I made selections with Polygonal Lasso Tool and made them into separate layers with Ctrl+Shift+J
- Then inverted the color from black to white Ctrl+I
- Added Blend modes and duplicated the layers and parts of the layers to get what I wanted.
- Also I used Eraser tool a bit to soften out some edges of these highlights – Soft round brush of course.
Source : Link , Question Author : Maxim V. Pavlov , Answer Author : Joonas