I’m a Photoshop n00b, working with version CS6. I’m trying to fix up a PSD I was sent from my client so I can convert it to HTML and CSS. Here’s a screenshot of some layers I’ve extracted, that hopefully will help illustrate my question:
The two white shapes are in one layer. The black “i” is a text layer on top of this. How can I make the “i” be a cutout inside the white layer, that allows the transparent background to show through? I can’t find any tutorials online that demonstrate how to do this.
The image helps…..
- cmd+click (Mac) or Ctrl+Click (Win) the layer thumbnail (the T) for the
i in the Layer’s Panel. This should load the i as a selection.
- Inverse the selection – From the menu choose
Select > Inverse
- Highlight the shape layer in the Layer Panel.
- Click the layer mask icon at the bottom of the Layer’s Panel.
- Turn off visibility for the text layer.