On an 8″ x 8″ artboard, how do I evenly place 8 1″ circles to make a circular grid? They should be overlapping by 1 pt.
You realize that 16, 1″ circles will not fill an 8×8″ artboard, right? You need 16, 2″ circles to fill 8×8″ or 32, 1″ circles.
- draw a rectangle, 8″ x 8″ and center on the 8×8 artboard.
- choose Object > Path > Split into Grid
- enter 4 rows and 4 columns for 16, 2″ circles (enter 8 rows 8 columns for 32, 1″ circles). Make certain the Gutter values are set to zero and click Ok.
- choose Effect > Convert to Shape > Ellipse
- tick “Absolute” and enter either 1″ or 2″ into the width and height fields and click OK
- Lastly, choose Object > Expand Appearance to get the circles as objects rather than squares with effects applied.
These are 2″ circles, not 1″ in order to fill the 8″x8″ area.