GIMP: the closest thing to Photoshop’s smart object?

I’ve been learning GIMP as an alternative to Photoshop, which I haven’t been using for design purposes for more than 5 years now. I discovered that there is a new interesting thing called the smart object in Photoshop. In GIMP, I haven’t been able to figure out how to create that smart object.

What is the closest thing to Photoshop’s smart object in GIMP?


I think that the closest are layers with different layer modes and layer masks, possibly combined with a clever layer tree structure. In the future, GIMP will probably allow much more non-destructive editing when GEGL will be used in more areas.

Source : Link , Question Author : WhyVisitBirmingham , Answer Author : quazgar

Leave a Comment