I’ve been trying to edit an Inkscape diagram I’ve created; there’s a segment I’d like to separate from the rest of the shape it belongs to and turn it into a separately-editable shape (for which I can adjust the fill and stroke separately from the rest of its currently associated shape).
- Select your shape and switch to edit path by nodes.
- Create two new nodes on the border of your shape where you want to detach it by double clicking at the respective position.
- Select those nodes and break path at selected nodes.
- Path → Break Apart.
- If this produces more than two objects, deselect the part you want to detach and Path → Combine.
- If you want the objects to be “closed” at the cut, select a single object, edit path by nodes, mark the two nodes where you cut the path and join selected endnodes with a new segment. (This may also fix some weird issues, if the former step was necessary.)