Is there a possbility to nest vertical rulers in InDesign with a Paragraph Style?
My intended result looks like this:
How do I make this in InDesign? I have found this trick to use Paragraph Shading to use it for a single level but I don’t think this is going to work with nesting. The thing is that Paragraph Shading is a CC feature, and I’m still using CS6, so I can’t test it.
It would be great if there is a style-based solution for this, for it’s going to be used for a huge bulk of text.
I’m open to CC solutions, but a CS6 one would be even greater.
Nested Paragraph Left Border
The trick is making three paragraph styles with different left indents and borders. Each of these borders is one, two and three strokes that must match by setting the strokes width, the border width and the left offset.
First paragraph style
- Set the first paragraph style with a left indent and a left paragraph
border 1,8 pt width: BORDER_LEVEL_1 at the image.
Second paragraph style
- The second paragraph style has a wider left indent and a wider left paragraph border, but with a custom Stroke Type.
- From the Stroke Panel options menu, choose Strokes Styles > New Stroke Style and create a Stripe type style with two thin lines, in this example 5% width.
- At the Paragraph Style, change the Border Type for the TWO LINES stroke and modify the border width and the left offset until it matches with the first paragraph border.
Third paragraph style
- Do the same as the second Paragraph Style, but with a custom Stroke Type with three lines.
- From the Stroke Panel options menu, choose Strokes Styles > New Stroke Style and create a Stripe type style with three thin lines, in this example 2,5% width.
- At the Paragraph Style, change the Border Type for the THREE LINES stroke and modify the border width and the left offset until it matches with the first and second paragraph borders.
It may not be a simple job, you have to establish the paragraph border and stroke styles measures and percentages well, but it’s something to do only once.