How to colorize an image as in the example?

I have seen such an effect being used in many places however I haven’t figured out how to replicate it via Photoshop.

I have tried desaturating the image, placing it under a layer of solid colour and then lowering the opacity of the colour. I have also tried a couple of blend modes, to no avail. The effect is nowhere near the same.

Can someone please tell me the effect used on these images?

This is a screen shot of a couple of websites


This is most probably a Gradient Map. Here’s a quick how-to:

  1. Open your source image
  2. Set your foreground and background colours in the toolbox: the
    background colour should be lighter than the forground colour
  3. Add a Gradient Map adjustment layer (Layer > New Adjustment
    > Gradient Map... or use the black/white circle icon in the
    Layers palette)

This will render your image in just the colours in a gradient of the two chosen colours, with the background colour matching the brightest parts of the image, and the foreground the darkest.

gradient map example

If you’re not happy with the result, open the Properties palette (Window > Properties), it will show you the gradient used and wil allow you to edit it by clicking on it. Since this is the standard gradient dialog, you can even pick a stock gradient or one you saved earlier.

Source : Link , Question Author : DYNSTy , Answer Author : Vincent

Leave a Comment