How to draw different coloured waves in Photoshop?

I want to know how to draw waves like patterns in photoshop easily.

I have attached an image of it so you can get an idea of what I’m talking about:


Please anybody help me in this.


Hard to say for sure from such a small image, but some of these look like they might be 3d.

The middle one on the right looks sort of like something that you could make with photoshop like this:


Draw some random lines and or dots with the brush tool.

enter image description here


From the top menu Filter > Blur > Motion blur....
enter image description here

enter image description here


Apply the blur couple more times ( …or until it looks good… ).

Ctrl + F or Cmd + F x2

enter image description here


It pays to experiment with stuff right about here, or after warping it. Stuff like adding sharpness or even blurring it some more.. Or adding extra brush strokes or something ( I didn’t do anything extra here… ).


  • Activate Free transform: Ctrl+T or Cmd+T
  • Right-click the document and select: Warp

enter image description here


Warp it like you mean it:

enter image description here

and done! …sort of… Of course you might want to continue by adding color, which you could do with Hue / saturation panel Ctrl+U or Cmd+U or something.

enter image description here

I made the image below by:

  1. Making couple more of those
  2. Inverting colors
  3. Adding layer adjustment: Gradient map with soft light blend mode
  4. Adding new layer on top of everything with overlay blend mode and brush some white in there with a soft round brush.
  5. Adding another layer with bunch of colors brushed in and changing blend mode to overlay and opacity to about 30%

enter image description here

I saved relatively good quality image incase anyone wants to use this image somewhere. Feel free to do what ever you wish to do with it.

Source : Link , Question Author : abhilash abin zachariah , Answer Author : Joonas

Leave a Comment