I know many work in where they enjoy but lately after spending all day at work I get home and all my thoughts and ideas for my freelance projects all day become annoying after I am drained and exhausted. So how do you:
- manage your energy with your work and freelance?
- not burn yourself in your field?
- balance your time with work and freelance?
- Stay inspired to complete what you’ve been working on?
I know I tend to bounce around on projects because I believe in managing my time when I get into a design block. However, is this method bad? Should I stick to one project until completion even when battling a hurtle?
I have read many articles on this but nothing seems to motivate me. If it helps someone else:
Besides the energy drink or taking a quick walk, I usually do one of 3 things when tired or burned out:
- Switch to a quick easy task. Completing something small is quick and fulfilling. The productivity/accomplishment helps build momentum.
- Take a break by reading an article or checking out a forum, write a quick post/answer (just like this one – I’m a little burned out at the moment…).
- When all else fails, switch to a pet project that you are more excited about.
By having a few projects at a time it helps give you the flexibility when you really couldn’t be stuffed working on something. You need to be disciplined though not to keep pushing all the undesirable projects back though (something I do too often).
On the other hand, when I’ve got a crunch/challenge to complete one project, usually the challenge itself is motivating enough.