I am new to textures and overlaying a vector for texturing, and I found these halftone textures from Spoon graphics http://blog.spoongraphics.co.uk/freebies/10-distressed-vector-halftone-patterns-for-illustrator that give me these black swatches.
They are great as they explained for just placing over a vector, however I want to recolor them so they are not just black. I have done this with other textures but when I go to select color I get this:
How can I recolor this texture swatch? Is this possible?
- Drag a new pattern swatch to the artboard from the Swatches panel.
- Select the dragged pattern
- Release the compound path
- remove the outer rectangle
- load into the Swatches panel your ordinary swatches
- select the dots
- select the fill color that you like
- drag the colored pattern back to your swatches panel
At first: learn from the user guide how to manage your swatch collections
No need to return the pattern back to the swatches. It can be used “as is”, too. (=recolor, use as a brush, make multiples, deform, clip by a clipping path, use as a clipping path etc…)
Check also: In the appearance panel you can select a different blending mode, for example “Hard light” and reduce the opacity. This way you can use the black dots to make the underlying color darker. It’s very useful to play a little with different blending modes, if you still have not done it.