I found these wonderful typographic maps on Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/SilkeSpingies?section_id=15207850&ref=shopsection_leftnav_1) where city names are placed in the correct location, and font size is based on population size. She has maps of Korea in Korean, Japan in Japanese, Thailand in Thai, etc. Because of this, I don’t think it is completely done by hand. I would like to make maps like these for other countries. What would be the easiest way to go about this?
The software to use is Adobe Illustrator.
A what I would do is:
- First of all create a list of cities and give each the desired size (before you start placing them on the map)
- Find a map with all the cities, paste it on your artboard and lock it there.
- Start to move your cities and order them around them map, always playing with kerning and the font size that doesn’t have to be 100% according to the rule.
- Now you have to start faking a bit, otherwise it won’t work: fake the locations, sizes, etc. Remember that in the end the overall look is the most important thing.
- Unlock the background map and delete it