So I received approximately 70 or so images from a customer and apparently they were all scanned. They are 4×6 prints but each one has a white background the size of a paper. How can I get rid of them en mass?
This is a job for the actions palette!
Make a new action for “Auto Crop”
- Open Actions palette (Alt+F9)
- Hit the “create new action” icon bottom right (paper with folded corner)
- Name the action “Auto crop” (for example)
- Go to Image > Trim > “Top left pixel color” (make sure all four boxes are ticked) > OK
- Save as (Shift+Ctrl+S) (then indicate your output directory)
- Close (Ctrl+W)
- Stop the recording action
Use that new action on a batch
- File > Automate > Batch
- Set “Source” to “Folder” and browse to the folder with the originals
- Set “Output” to your destination folder of choice (I recommend a new folder!)
…sit back and watch the action 🙂
It’s worth mentioning that if you don’t actually want them cropped THAT tightly (to the pixel) you can always add to the action a step to simply increase the canvas size (say) 50 pixels all round after the trim. You can also at that point run Auto-Tone, or anything else you’d like to do.
Once you are into actions and batch automation, there is no going back!