Is there a name for smaller parts of a glyph in typography?

My understanding is that a symbol in typography is often called a glyph. There are cases when one glyph is composed of multiple “components” with space in between them, e.g. :, ;, etc.

Is there any name for these “components” (e.g. one dot in a colon)?


Most parts of letters are named, and there are some terms which only apply to a single letter. For example the spine of the S.

Here is a good article to read.

Source : Link , Question Author : Brano , Answer Author : Azur Mesic

Leave a Comment