Jargon: What do company ad departments call the vector files?

As someone laying out an event program or the like for an amateur production, I need to call the sponsors and ask for the print-layout material for their ads.

I’m getting second hand scans from yellow pages (!) and screen shots and low-res jpeg files. So if I call up the sponsor and ask for the real file to be used for the ad, what do they call that?

Before I make the rounds to direct contacts, I want to know what to expect and what to call things. The people who buy ads at big companies have this down pat, and the little shops can be prompted for something they got from the designer and sent in for printing before.

Clarification: I understand that small businesses won’t have such stuff, or may need help to dig up the real file they got from the designer when the thumbnail is the only thing they see in the file explorer.

But a good sized business that has a corporate brand effort with logos in ai files and detailed instructions for placement… “some guy” working in department X doesn’t know that. When he passes the request up to the right department, to the people who do know about preparing material for print and other uses, what do they call this?

Is it a “comp”? Is it a “for-print capsule”? I want to know what they call this (along with the dimensions) to effeciently ask for the right thing and sound (to them) that I know what I’m talking about.


I’d ask for “your logo in a vector file format. This may be an EPS, PDF or SVG file”.

But be prepared to accept the fact that a lot of these businesses likely don’t have a version of their logo in a vector file format. In fact, you’ll often encounter businesses that don’t even have a proper digital source file of their logo. Getting ‘scans from yellow pages’ and low quality JPG files is certainly common when it comes to dealing with small businesses that have never really properly invested in their brand assets.

Source : Link , Question Author : JDługosz , Answer Author : DA01

Leave a Comment