Is there a name for the type of web site layout in which
- the body of the page is divided into horizontal sections;
- each section is 100% wide but has content of fixed width (that is typically centered);
- the background of each section is usually different?
I am not looking for templates, just for the name of this kind of layout.
Edit: There does not seem to be a name for it. I will call it “sandwich layout”.
You can’t really apply one label to this style.
- It is fluid in the sense that it expands and contracts to use the whole viewport.
- It typically used for vertical designs because it helps to break up the scrolling depth.
- It is most commonly found on one page sites because it is well suited to a lot of content.
- And it has certainly been a fashionable approach to site design over the past 18 months. I suspect it will begin to die back before long, at least in those cases where it’s not particularly appropriate.
One Page Love is a good reference for use cases in this style.