The Preview app used to be the default app to open PDF files. For some obscure reason, this is being changed into Photoshop every now and then.
If this happens, I do this:
- Right click on a PDF file, Open With…
- For some reason Preview isn’t even in that list, so I click Other
- Select Preview, check the ‘Always Open With’ box, and click Open
- Then I right-click the file again, Get Info
- The “Open With” part shows Preview, and I click the “Change All” button
And then it’s OK for a while. But a few days later, without me changing any settings, for some reason PDF files are being opened with Photoshop again 🙁
Is there a way to prevent an app from binding file types to itself without my permission?
FYI I’m using macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (17C88).
Try rebuilding your Launch Services database.
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
Then reboot immediately.