Technical name for the removal of an image background

Can someone remind me what the technical name is for the removal of a background from a still image?

Our photographer told me years ago, but I’ve since forgotten and it gets embarrassing!


Depending on the context and who you’re talking to, this is referred to as “keying” (also referred to as Chroma Key), “matting” (mostly video), “masking” (you’ll come across “clipping mask” as a term which is interchangeable with “mask” in most cases) or extraction. These are all names for the same general technique, which is the basis of Compositing.

Source : Link , Question Author : Byron Ross , Answer Author : Alan Gilbertson

Leave a Comment