Technical term for stray pixels

Is there a technical term to designate stray pixels (like clearly visible dots near contours) in raster graphics ? I seem to remember the word “kayatutu” from early Macintosh days but perhaps it was just a buzzword.

Edit: Here’s an example with some clipart (zoom in to see the grey dots).

enter image description here


I refer to them as artifacts. The term is general for lots of different types of distortion, but the kind of stray pixels you are talking about could be the result of a number of causes, so for a more specific term you’d need a more specific situation.

Source : Link , Question Author : James P. , Answer Author : Questioner

Leave a Comment