What is the correct name of this filter?

Normally, this is what would you would see if you magnified older newspaper images printed in color. (check the background of the attached image)

What is this filter called?
How can I recreate this filter in GIMP or Photoshop?

enter image description here


Halftone effects in Gimp come with quite some variety for adjusting to personal needs. From the Filters > Distorts > Newsprint… settings we can see that the resuting halftone image is better than the one posted in the question. Therefore we probably have to add additional filters. That’s where creativity is asked, as there is not a prebuilt singular filter to do this.

Now this is how I tried to recreate the image above in Gimp:

  1. Add color noise (Filter > Noise > RGB Noise set to 0.20 for R, G, and B)
  2. Add halftone effect (Filter > Distorts > Newsprint) with the following settings:

    • Cell size 3
    • Separate to RGB
    • Diamond at angle 35,0 (channels locked)
    • Oversampling 8
  3. Add some blur (which might have come from down-scaling of the image in question)

    enter image description here
    Image source: Wikimedia

Source : Link , Question Author : imrek , Answer Author : Takkat

Leave a Comment