What is the name for the spiky shape often used to enclose the word “NEW!” in adverts?

This is the shape I mean:Spiky shape with the word "NEW!" in

If you were asking a colleague to design an advert with one of these in, what would you call it?

And, do graphic designers have names for both the spiky shape itself, regardless of what it’s being used for, and for the shape when it encloses the word “NEW” (or related words such as “SALE” and “SPECIAL OFFER”)?


  • Burst
  • Callout
  • Bubble
  • Splash
  • Bastard Element
  • Seal (at times, depending upon actual content, such as a guarantee)

These terms cover any shape in such a context. The appearance can be anything from a star to an ellipse, to a square, triangle.. etc.

enter image description here

Source : Link , Question Author : Phil van Kleur , Answer Author : Scott

Leave a Comment