What is the name of a photographic effect where there are subtle shadows in corners?

If you take pictures and the aperture settings are not ideal, you will see a light shadow in the corners.



This effect is a sign of bad quality, but is also often used as a design element in movies, pictures and so on – how is it called?

I want to use it, but I have no clue how it’s called.


It is called Vignetting, which, as you described:

[…] is a reduction of an image’s brightness or saturation at the periphery compared to the image center.

It can appear as

  • Mechanical (filters used in a shoot, improper lens hood, etc)
  • Optical (lens)
  • Natural (illumination falloff)
  • Pixel (digital sensor’s alignment to the scene)
  • Photographic film (the film’s properties)

Nowadays it can be easily done in post-processing.

Source : Link , Question Author : NaN , Answer Author : Jari Keinänen

Leave a Comment