What is the name of this heart-like decorative symbol?

I occasionally come across a symbol that looks like this:

enter image description here

It looks to me like some sort of stylized heart, or maybe some kind of fruit on a branch. It is often used to separate blocks of text, for example on book covers that are trying to appear elegant. I most recently saw it in this New York Times Op-Art by Ben Schott (may require subscription).

Does this symbol have a name?


Generically, it’s called a “fleuron”. Some specifically call it an “aldus leaf”.

A fleuron is essentially an ornamental typographic character. The Aldus Leaf being a commonly used one.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleuron_(typography)

Source : Link , Question Author : Nate Eldredge , Answer Author : DA01

Leave a Comment