What is the style of font called that is typically used in newspaper mastheads?

Does anyone know of a font suitable for the title of a newspaper? It is also the type that’s used for the first letter of a chapter of a book (and is so calligraphic, you can’t tell if it has serifs or not).

I am looking for something like the one used by the “newspaper clipping generator” at fodey.com:

Newspaper Title
Generated at fodey.com


That style of lettering is called Blackletter (also sometimes loosely called “gothic script”, or “old English”), and if you do a search for “blackletter font” you’ll find plenty of fonts that imitate this style.

You’re probably looking for something specifically like Old English by Linotype or Monotype Old English which have been relatively popular for this purpose.

Monotype old English image from identifont:

Old English

Or if you’re looking for free fonts, UniFraktur is a free blackletter one which appears authentic but has a different style of capitals to what you’re after. Meyne Textur is somewhat along the theme you’re looking for. There are probably others, of varying quality.

Meyne Textur free font:

Meyne Textur

Source : Link , Question Author : tkbx , Answer Author : thomasrutter

Leave a Comment