What is this effect called? Is it film-grain?

What is this effect called? Is it film-grain? It kind of looks like but the grains are bigger. Thanks a lot in advance.



This looks very much like monochrome Gaussian (as opposed to Uniform, which it’s not) noise at a low opacity. If I were going to reproduce the effect, I’d do this:

  • Add the noise to a white layer in Multiply or Darken mode @ about 20% opacity above the object. (The example below is in Darken mode at 21%.)

  • Use Photoshop’s Blend If function (in the Blending Options dialog) to allow the whitest parts of the underlying object to show through.

enter image description here

  • Scale up the noise layer. Scaling it up makes noise “grain” edges less sharp and gives that “blobby” look.

enter image description here

Source : Link , Question Author : user2707389 , Answer Author : Alan Gilbertson

Leave a Comment