What’s the correct English term for this old typesetting technique?

I am building up a typography glossary and I’m looking for the name of this old typographic technique. I have seen it now and then since I was a kid. It was common for more than some eighty years ago, a lot before the advent of digital typesetting. It was used when saving up space was a must, as in glossaries, dictionaries or books with a lot of text.

In this procedure, a line’s end is continued at the blank end of the previous line preceded by an opening square bracket, instead of continuing it by adding a line, as it would normally happen. I hope the attached image illuminates the concept.

enter image description here


I’ve found three sources mentioning this technique.

Beadnell, Henry: A guide to typography, in two parts, literary and practica, 1859, p. 165-166:

De Vinne, Theodore Low: The practice of typography; modern methods of book composition, 1904, p. 148:

De Vinne, Theodore Low: The practice of typography; correct composition, 1910, p. 278:

Sadly, none of these books mentions a proper term for the technique (and they all seem to advice against using it if avoidable).

In The practice of typography; correct composition, De Vinne uses the expression: “bracketing in a previous line of a word too long for the line”, which is the closest thing to a name I can find.

Source : Link , Question Author : Mosh , Answer Author : Wolff

Leave a Comment