Where to find a list of overlapping characters?

In the character map, after selecting some very large fonts, sometimes I find some characters which, if typed after another character, will appear above or below the first character.

  • What is the common name to describe such a character?
  • Where can I find a list of commonly available characters of this sort?

I am particularly interested in finding a character which creates a small, downward arrow which can be placed underneath other letters.


More generally, the technical term for these things is combining character. The Wikipedia article I linked to contains a list of the ones currently defined in Unicode.

Alas, Unicode doesn’t seem to have a combining character exactly like the one you want. There is a combining upwards arrow below, U+034E, but not a combining downwards arrow below.

Source : Link , Question Author : Village , Answer Author : Ilmari Karonen

Leave a Comment